Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Nov. 4, 2019 -- Happy Halloween...?

Hello everybody.

I forgot my camera. A little sad about that. No pictures this week. 

This week was Halloween! Nobody down here celebrates Halloween, but I did not let that stop me. I went to the store last P-Day to prepare and bought all the over-priced American chocolate that I could find, along with some spanish cookies that had pictures of ghosts on the package (thanks to a little treat-yourself money that Bro. Stuart had sent with me to the mission). I just ate myself sick on chocolate when we came back home for the night. It was great. Best night ever. Nobody celebrates Halloween, but they blocked off a whole street to sell flowers for their Day of the Dead, which is sort of like Memorial Day.

COOKING WITH ELDER HARRIS:
Here is a comprehensive list of everything I have cooked on my mission:
- Powdered milk
- Strawberry Nesquick (with the powdered milk)
Those things I make a bunch. Here are two things I only have made once so far:
- Waffles. We happen to have a waffle iron, so that's great. I must admit that I am a master at waffles. I even mixed some cinnamon into the batter to have some extra flavor. 
- Eggs. Scrambled some eggs. After doing the one-handed egg opening.
That is everything I have ever cooked on my mission so far, haha. Professional tip, though, when you are putting the water in the milk jug to make powdered milk, it is much easier when you cut the top off a water bottle to use as a funnel. This tip may only apply when your water comes in little plastic bags that you rip open. If you have a sink, don't worry about it.

Last P-day we were writing in a little computer lab thing where you can rent computers. They must have had missionaries there before, because when we came in they switched on the church music! Started with "If You Could High to Kolob," so that was a lot of fun.

This is a little crazy, my youngest sibling, Starling, has now lived more of her life without me than with me. 

I was with a Panamanian one night, and he was confused at my Crest toothpaste. That doesn't exist down here, only Colgate. I guess I will have to do a brand switch when my next tube runs out. 

Elder Peck and I went with two of the young men in the ward to visit someone, and they showed us a leaf that looks like a tiny fern. The bottom is covered in a white powder, so you can slap it on your arm and have a super cool exact copy of the leaf there. Then you just rub it off when you're done. They did it and it looked super cool, but then I tried and it almost didn't even show up on my white skin, so we had a good laugh about that.

This week I had to direct the area without my comp for almost three days. At first I was with Elder Taggart, the new Elder, so our combined knowledge of Spanish was all we had going. It worked out alright though. Then the next day I was with one of the zone leaders, who is a native spanish speaker, so I was on full spanish mode. I can talk about the church super easily, but I tried explaining something about the Olympics and couldn't figure out any of the words I wanted, so that is kind of funny. Phew, I am always tired after directing the area because I have to make all the plans and know where everyone lives and have all the backups, so it's a little crazy.

I would like to illustrate a spiritual thought with three short experiences:

- First, we went to teach an older lady, and her grandson was there. When he saw us, he said, "I know you guys, I saw you on the bus!"
- Then we went to a house we hadn't ever been to to see if a reference was at home. A lady answered the door said, "No, he's not, he left just after you guys walked past the house earlier!"
- Later we were talking to an investigator and a drunk guy was there. He said, "I know you guys, you were talking to an old man up in El Chaguite and I was inside listening."

Anyways, the point is that we had no idea these people had ever seen us or known who we were. It really is true that people are always watching you and see your example. Hopefully they saw us and were impressed so they could be more receptive later on. People notice the little good and nice things you do, and also when you don't do what you should. Ye are the light of the world. Be good examples.


Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment