Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Oct. 13, 2020 -- Single Digits

"So, the reason we are on earth is to AAAHHHHHHH!"

That was about how a recent video lesson went. We were teaching the Plan of Salvation over the phone while we were at a park, but were surprised when the sprinklers turned on and gave us a little dousing. We were able to regroup and finish, though, so no worries. 

Always lots to see here in Las Vegas, like a guy pulling a crazy wheelie on a moped.

Lately the weather has been great! It is usually in the upper 80s or lower 90s, so it is finally bearable to go outside. Today our district went to a park to play some spikeball and throw a football. It was nice to have some fresh air. Also, leaving Walmart, a guy came and asked us for our card! Usually we have to offer, haha, so that was awesome. He said that he used to live in Georgia and the missionaries helped him out a lot when his wife got in a car wreck, and it was the best experience he ever had. I think it was cool that even though those missionaries didn't make much progress visible in the moment to help that man, it had a big enough impact on him to lead him to talk to missionaries on his own and have fond memories of those other ones. That is one thing I've learned a lot. A little example or kind deed goes a lot farther than we often realize.

We have had an odd mystery this week. When we went on exchanges, my companion put the SIM card for another area into his phone while he was over there. Now he is back here without a SIM card, but he keeps getting texts for their area and can respond on his phone even though he doesn't have a card. Pretty strange. 

Man, the other day I hit the 15 month mark, which means I only have single digit month numbers left. That is pretty weird. Mission time goes by so fast. I still feel like I'm just starting and kind of getting into the rhythm of things, but I'm kind of old! Got to enjoy every moment. 

The other night we heard a knock on our door and when we opened it, our neighbor was there! We had made some cookies for them once. She motioned us over to her door, where she loaded us up with chocolate milk, chicken patties, apples, and yogurt. I guess they had gotten some extra from her job or something, and she wanted to share, which was super awesome! A little service goes a long way.

This week I also got a sweet Halloween package from the Junk family! They're the best there is. 

I think the best part of the week is the man we invited to be baptized the other day. He is so cool. The other day he had a day off and we asked what he would do. He texted back, "Wash car, practice music, read Book of Mormon," in half English and half Spanish. Some good plans. He is so great because he always answers our messages and calls (which may sound small, but is a HUGE blessing as any missionary will know). He also came to church this Sunday for the first time! All the members came and said hi to him, and he seemed to really enjoy it. The next day we had a lesson and asked him how things are going with praying. He said, "well, I feel like God is answering my prayers because yesterday in church I was nervous at first, but then I felt sooo good. Just really comfortable." He just had a big old smile on his face and was so happy. I love that. There are so many people out there that are just crazy ready for the gospel. We've just got to find them. He even went out and started teaching himself "I Am a Child of God" on the guitar. I love that man. 

Things are good here on the front lines.

Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment