Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Dec. 1, 2020 -- Pass the egg-nog! It's December!

Well here we are in December--one of the best months of the year! One of these days I'll finally get a white Christmas. Maybe not this year, though, haha. Last night we hung up the Christmas lights and set up our little fake tree that has been taking up all our closet space for the last year. We have a little nativity set too. I love picking up extra stuff old missionaries left behind. Las Vegas has some crazy Christmas lights, though! Even before Christmas people have their entire houses and yards and trees and bushes coated in lights. 

We didn't have a football to throw on Thanksgiving, but we did have a basket-ball hoop shaped trash can! I felt pretty inspired and we went out to the back parking-lot and duct-taped the trash can to a big storage bin and played some old-school street ball. It was a lot of fun. The air outside's getting a little crisper! Then, a member brought us an awesome Thanksgiving dinner. It was super good. After that, another less-active member invited us over to eat, and after that Andres, our recent convert had us come celebrate his birthday and eat with them. By the end, I was pretty sure that if I didn't just sit still, I would probably throw up. It was a good day.

Being a missionary is pretty amazing. I can't think of anything quite like it. We visit random people that we've never met, and they just let us into their homes and often make us dinners and do all sorts of nice things for us, just because of what we represent. I don't know of any other position that fosters such immediate and powerful connection with people. It is an amazing work to be a part of. 

We met another super cool guy this week. He was a referral from a member in another ward. We had a lesson at the church with the member that referred him, and it went really well. He is an older guy that travelled the world as a government official for Cuba and also served in several wars in Africa. He invited us to his house for the next lesson, where, he told us, "I'll make you a famous Cuban coffee!" We managed to persuade him to do hot chocolate instead, haha. After the lesson, he told us "I just want your help so I can keep learning and be part of your congregation." That happens to be our specialty! We invited him to be baptized the day after Christmas, and he said, "With much pleasure!" He is just so ready for the gospel. Everything clicks. After explaining the Book of Mormon, he said, "Oh, so your church is kind of founded on this right? There are lots of churches that use the Bible, but only you guys use both. I think that is a good evidence for your church." Inside we were just like YESSS! If everybody just understood that connection, things would be so much clearer. If the Book of Mormon is true, this is the church of Jesus Christ once again on the earth. End of story. He also told us how if anyone tried to invite him to anything on Sunday, he would say, "No! I've already got a commitment to church."  He loved how reverent church was and that was what helped him want to be part of the church. I think it's amazing how quickly these new people that come to church can just feel of the truthfulness and recognize it. It also blows me away all the time how there are really so many people that do not have the truth, "only because they know not where to find it." God really is preparing many people for this message.

Another cool guy is someone we street contacted and got his phone number from. He is this middle-aged guy, but he is really big and used to be a luchador. He loves exercise and has his big gold watch and big rings. He has a funny way of talking. When we invited him to church, he said, "Well, you know, if I can make I'll make it, there I'll be, and if not, well you already know. There you go." I don't know if I can make the voice come across, but it's kind of funny. Anyways, he's come to church for a couple weeks now. Another guy we talked to on the street came to a chapel tour as well. It honestly amazes me that people we just meet on the street would actually come and do anything, but it works! It is super awesome to see. 

Every now and then for me it is easy to feel overwhelmed trying to work out my own salvation, help bring my companions to Christ, train a new missionary, find new people to teach, teach and help all the people we already know, build our ward and reactivate members in the midst of a pandemic, plus helping all the other missionaries in the zone work effectively and develop skills. All these teenagers are supposed to master listeners, question askers, scripture users, online marketers, planners, and religious leaders. It's kind of crazy how much responsibility the church is willing to give us! It feels like there is never enough time to do anything! One time when I was feeling kind of stressed out about all these different challenges, I read in Ether 12:27 where it talks about how if we come unto God, he shows us our weaknesses, and then if we are humble, his grace is enough to turn our weaknesses into strengths. It hit me, that when I realize my shortcomings and am humble, it is a sign that I'm coming unto God! My heart is open enough that he can let me know what I need to improve on, and help me change, repent, and improve. It was comforting to me to know that when we have weaknesses and feel insufficient, it can be a sign of our willingness to change as opposed to someone who is satisfied with complacency. So anyway, I still have a long ways to go, but at least I feel that when I am humble about these things, God is helping me along the path back to him.

Till we meet,

Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment