Friday, March 26, 2021

Mar. 22, 2012 -- Driving on the 66

I made a really big mistake last week. We were at Walmart, and there was this colorful, exciting box of seasonal Marshmallow Peeps cereal, and I spent about $5.00 on it. Needless to say, I will not be buying it again. What was I thinking? I don't even like Marshmallow Peeps to begin with. Now it will probably sit there, above my fridge, staring down at me as a constant reminder of my foolish ways for another several months. 

Another funny thing has to do with hand soap. We have that cheap liquid soap that is the milk and golden honey . . . flavor? scent? variety, perhaps? Anyway, one of the elders took a sharpie to it, so now it says, "Buy Milk and Golden Honey without money and without price 2 Nephi 25:26." It is now one of my favorite household items. 

A couple weeks ago, we gave away one of the wards we cover to some other missionaries. There was a person there we had talked to in the street who seemed kind of evasive and never answered any of our calls or messages after we got his phone number. Then, the other missionaries called after we were gone and were able to start teaching him! He told them that we were all so persistent, that he took it as a sign God was trying to tell him something. 

Until now, I have never been farther south in the mission than an occasional visit to Henderson, but this week we took a trip! We had a zone conference down in Lake Havasu City, Arizona, so we took the two-and-a-half-hour drive down! It felt like a whole different world. Driving down, there was a lot of empty desert with sage brush and mountain peaks. I didn't realize how much I missed seeing some empty space. We drove through both Arizona and California, so I visited two states I haven't really been to before in the same day. In Lake Havasu, we took a picture in front of the London Bridge. I don't have any idea how they shipped it over and put it back together, but that was pretty cool. We crossed the Colorado River a couple times and saw a road-runner cruising along. After the meeting, we did some exchanges in Kingman, Arizona, which requires driving for just a little on classic Route 66! We left just as it got dark, and it blew me away how dark it got after being in a big city for so long. You can maybe see a handful of stars in Vegas, and there is just a lot of light pollution. But out in the middle of the desert, it was like re-discovering night time. On the way back home, we drove right past Hoover Dam, but you can't see it without driving up to it. We were really close, though. It was quite the American South-west road trip.

Yesterday we met a man in our ward who is 97 and is a POW survivor from WWII. He looks great! I would not have thought he was so old. We are setting up a time to visit to hear some of his life stories.

On Fridays, everyone has district councils, and we usually visit a couple beside our own. This week we bought some pupusas for lunch and headed over to my old stomping grounds in Paraiso for a visit. You may remember that several months ago while I was there, we visited a family who had just moved into the ward. We thought they were all members, and after the visit, we asked if there was anything we could do for them. The husband said that we could teach the missionary lessons to his wife because she wasn't a member. We were really surprised and were able to start teaching them shortly before I left the area. Their family was able to get married this last week, and the wife got baptized. It made me really happy to hear. What we have is just so good. Joy to the soul. 


'Til we meet,



Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment