Friday, November 29, 2019

Nov. 28, 2019 -- Christmas, Halloween, and Thanksgiving in One

(Mom note: Abe's P-Day is typically on Monday, however, this week they switched it to Thursday so it would land on Thanksgiving.)

Hello everybody,

I had a crazy revelation the other day. We came home after church and I told my comp I was just going to run and change out of my suit and into my "church pants." In that moment, I realized that what I refer to as "church pants" - slacks - I wear every day EXCEPT for Sunday during church because that's when I use my suit. Holy smokes. What has my life come to. 

Things are going well down here. It is funny when I get a haircut, because all the hair on the ground is just black and then it gets a little sprinkling of yellow on top.

This week I FINALLY got my package from the family! It took two months, but the main problem wasn't the mail system, just the package sitting around in the mission office far away. Anyway, that was a lot of fun! We came home from a conference of all the missionaries in Oriente and that night I opened up the package. Included were like 40 feet of Christmas lights, so my comp turned on the Christmas music and I strung the lights up everywhere. We were sitting there admiring our handiwork in the soft glow of the lights to the gentle Christmas music and suddenly a firefly started flashing green and flying around the room! First firefly I've ever seen. Poor guy probably got all confused with the little lights everywhere. Anyways, it was just a kind of fun, magical moment. The mission is as fun as you make it.

The package also had Halloween pictures from the siblings, so I put those up with the Christmas lights even though I didn't get them until mid-November. And today is Thanksgiving, so we've just got a crazy mix of holidays going on. 

The other day we were talking to a member and there was a crazy lady next door. She started yelling things about the church but I wasn't really paying attention. Then she yelled, "They're thieves! They're going to steal your chickens! They're going to steal your goats! They're going to steal your pigs!" I had to use every bit of self control to not bust up laughing. The members don't even have goats or pigs. Apparently she also often yells that the Elder's Quorum president is the boss of MS13. Good times.

I had my first interchange outside of Jucuapa this week too! Usually I have to stay because Elder Peck is the DL and has to go and do interviews. But, I spent some time in El Transito. It was fun to look down the streets and see trees with red flowers, orange flowers, yellow ones, pink, purple, you name it. It is very pretty here. There're volcanoes in the distance with cloudy tops. My family is sending me pictures of snow, but here it is the kind of weather where dogs just lie down in the street like they're dead. A guy with a big dead lizard in his hand started talking to me in broken English, always referring to me as "White Boy."

Something weird I realized is when I went somewhere and saw a wooden door. That was weird. Almost never see those here. 

The other day I was thinking about how if you want to do or be something, you just gotta do it. If you want to be upbeat and have energy, you just got to decide to do it and get it done. Be who you want to be today. It is like the old Lomond View principal who in the announcments every day would say "Have a great day! The choice is up to you."

Pictured are Elder Peck and I in the multizone meeting. I also caught up with MTC comp Elder Gunderson there. I've also got a picture of me with some Gatorade in a bag. You can buy it in glass bottles, but it costs more, so if they pour it in a bag it's cheaper. 

See you all around,

Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment