Monday, December 30, 2019

Dec. 30, 2019 -- Living the High Life

Yes sir, we are living in luxury now.

The other day the bishop that always drives things around to the missionaries brought us a special surprise . . . beds! That's right, no more of this mattress on the floor nonsense. Life is gooooood. But, have you ever tried to connect the bottom piece to the head and foot boards without a hammer? Let me tell you, it is some work. We finally put our beds together after about 45 minutes of sweat and work in the night. We would stand on the little plate and bend the headboard and just try to lever it far enough over with our body weight and the floor, if that makes sense. Then when it was finally stretched out enough to where we could put the holes in the slots I delivered some wickedly powerful kicks to substitute for a hammer to ram it into place. Good times.

We had a good Christmas here in El Salvador. On the 24th, we got to call home, which was a blast, and then we went and visited people. We visited Hno. Morales, the chef, and got to his house right when he was serving dinner to two other families in the ward, so they rushed us to some seats and fed us turkey and mashed potatoes and other food. It was very very good and fun to talk and laugh with all the members. Then they had fireworks going all night, which was fun. Then on Christmas day I opened the packages I've been saving from Mom and Aunt Kathy. It was a blast to have something to unwrap. I got a pedometer from home to see how many thousands of steps I walk, haha. So far in these couple days my best is 15,500, but I am not sure if that is a lot or a little. Someone get me a distance conversion. Aunt Kathy also sent me a sweeet Ogden Made t-shirt. It is my new favorite by far. Representing the home turf. 

We got another free ride from a taxi driver we had talked to before today! It pays to share the gospel with taxi drivers.

I also got a bunch of red spots on my legs that itched like the dickens and I wasn't sure what they were. Turns out they were flea bites. I don't like fleas. They itch like 100 times worse than mosquitos and are just way worse. Yeesh.

Sometimes there are random concerts with giant speaker walls, and they are very loud, so you can hear it from far away. The other day I was studying and then they started playing Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics. Took me right back to driving to the mountain bike trails with Noah Stuart with the windows down and that song among others rolling. I enjoyed that.

I am continually amazed by the impact little conversations have. The other day we invited some guy in the street to a ward Christmas dinner. Later in the week we went and met with an investigator and he said "Hey, you guys met Chele (the nickname of the guy we talked to)!" We asked him how he knew and Chele had mentioned that he talked with us in the alcoholics anonymous group that he went to and said we were very friendly. It always blows me away that even when you think the conversation ends right then and there, it often has impacts that go far beyond what you normally see. We had 17 nonmembers come to the Christmas dinner, which was super good. One lady arrived with an invitation I had written, but we hadn't ever seen her before. Someone else we had given one to gave it to her. Kind of cool the little random things that happen sometimes.

Pictured are a photoshoot with Aunt Kathy's sweet shirt, some Christmas LEGOS, Christmas Eve dinner, and first day with beds!

Have a great New Year!

Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment