Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Jan. 6, 2020 -- We've Got Company...

Alright, hello everybody!

Welcome to the week where Elder Harris is in charge of a lot of stuff and it's a little crazy. Let's get started.

This week was pretty normal until the night of New Year's Eve. The missionaries from El Triunfo (a little town about 20 minutes away that is part of our ward) called us and a crazy guy was looking to cause them trouble, so they had to come and stay with us. This ended up being kind of fun. They came over in the night and we stayed up until midnight to welcome in the new year. We talked and laughed a lot and then we all lounged around on our beds with a speaker in the middle listening to the 12-step addiction recovery stories that the church has. It was pretty good. At midnight I proudly carried out the Allred tradition of banging pots and pans. It was pretty great. So anyways, it is fun to have four missionaries in the house, but a little stressful for me, because I am the only one out of all of us that knows the area since my companion is new as well. This means that every day I pretty much have to plan two full days of visits to do divisions, and it is a little crazy. They are still here and don't know when they will have permission to go to their area. So as far as planning, I am pulling my hair out, but the work has been good. We were able to bring 6 investigators to church this week and we have more baptismal dates on the calendar than anyone in the zone, so we will see what we can do to help some of them carry through to the end. 

After New Year's Eve, the day itself was a lot of fun too. In the morning, Hna. Irma who we buy lunch from wanted us to come over to bless her stand in the market and then her house. We went over and she asked me to bless her market stall, and I felt good about how it went. Then we went to her house and blessed it and gave her husband a blessing, and he was very emotional and called us his angels. Then Hna. Irma gave us each some pupusas and some fancy cologne, which was very kind. We started off the day very well and felt like we were on the Lord's errand. Then we went to Hno. Morales' house for lunch, and on the way up, our neighbor, who is not a member, bought us all snow-cones. Then at Hno. Morales house we ate lots of fruit and Guatemalan tamales and banana bread and all sorts of good stuff. It was just a lot of fun.

Today for P-day we went to a used clothing store that is kind of like Ross. I bought a super cool jacket, and, best of all, it was on sale for 40 cents! Wow. What a great jacket. I am still in shock. I don't even think I will ever need a jacket here because it is super hot, but you can't beat that deal. I also saw a dog that was pure white and super puffy, so it just looked like a big marshmallow.

This week we went to find someone who lived off in the outskirts and we took a shortcut through the jungle past a giant sinkhole and a huge jungle tree. It was pretty cool. 

Anyways, things are going very well. I am enjoying the missionary life. I liked a quote I was reading in the start of Come, Follow Me for this year by Ezra Taft Benson. He talked about the power of the Book of Mormon and then said that when we start to hunger and thirst after the word of God in the Book of Mormon, we will find life in greater abundance. I liked that a lot. First of all, because I have really grown to love the Book of Mormon out here and know with all my heart that it is true. But I also love the fact that God does ask lots of sacrifices of us, but in a strange paradox, the more we sacrifice for God, the more he makes of us, the more he blesses us, and the more we are. What a beautiful promise. 

Pictured is my 40 cent jacket, the sinkhole, the giant jungle tree, and the district in a pickup and with snow cones.

Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment